Paleo Porridge with Caramelized Bananas
Posted by Lisa on June 14, 2015 / 3 Comments
A hearty, grain-free, paleo porridge that’s a delicious breakfast and perfect for the cooler months. Top it with bananas or other seasonal fruit.
When I made this recipe last week and posted it on Instagram it was a gloomy, June day. Think dark, brooding skies and cool, dismal weather. Weather that forced me to breakout my sweater…in California…in June!
Then I felt a bit silly as the weather shot up to 90 degrees just a few days later. And I thought to myself, what was I thinking posting a warm, grain-free, paleo porridge recipe in summertime? Doh!
Yet today, it’s another “June gloom” day and boy am I happy that I made this recipe. Because a warm porridge on a relatively cool day is the best! And let’s be honest, the delicious caramelized bananas don’t hurt either.
So welcome to California June weather – one day hot, one day gloomy. It’s the price you pay for living in a virtual paradise where 80% of the year is beach weather. I for one will take it – especially with a breakfast option like this.
So if you’re reading this post and it just so happens be bright, sunny and gorgeous outside, make sure you pin the recipe to Pinterest. Trust me, you’re not gonna want to forget this paleo porridge recipe come wintertime!
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 bananas
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Place the nuts in a large bowl of water and soak for 8 hours or overnight. Soaking the nuts not only helps to make the porridge creamy, it also helps to increase the digestibility of the nuts (so don't skip this step!).
- Drain the nuts in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Place the nuts, dates, chia, vanilla and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until finely ground (stopping before you create a nut butter).
- Transfer the nut mixture to a pot. Add the coconut milk and turn the heat to medium-high. Stir until hot and smooth, then remove from the heat.
- Peel the bananas and slice in half, then again lengthwise.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the butter, maple syrup and cinnamon and stir until combined. Place the bananas in the skillet and cook for one minute, then carefully flip and cook for an additional minute on the other side.
- Divide the porridge between four bowls. Add the caramelized bananas, a sprinkle of chopped pecans and ¼ cup coconut milk to each bowl. Serve immediately.
Other recipes you might like: