Poached Egg with Truffle Salt Grilled Zucchini
Posted by Lisa on April 22, 2015 / 1 Comment
This poached egg with truffle salt grilled zucchini recipe proves that breakfast doesn’t have to be complicated to be delicious.
I’m baaacck! Can you believe that my five months of gluten-free, healthy travel has come to an end? I can’t. That time flew by like nobody’s business. And just when I was getting into the rhythm of some top notch, healthy restaurants in Bali. Oh well, just means I’ll have to go back again, right?
If you missed out on my Sydney-Chiang Mai-Bali adventures, you can peruse the photologue on Instagram. Sunny days, palm trees, green smoothies, yoga, wellness retreats, motorbike adventures, snorkeling…and of course, the FOOD!
I’m missing it already.
Now here’s the funny part. I have a hundred or so recipes simmering in my brain from these travels. Think bright flavors, warming spices, tropical goodness. Yet when I was flying home, I was craving a completely different flavor. I wanted light, fresh, simple and earthy. Something I would call a California “shabby chic” breakfast.
So that’s what I made – a poached egg with truffle salt grilled zucchini. And if you love all things truffle like I love all things truffle, you won’t be disappointed. Truffle’s superpower is that it enhances any dish – and in this case, ties the farmer’s market fresh flavors together.
If you’ve used truffle salt (or truffle oil) before this goes without saying, but be conservative. It doesn’t take much to impart a significant dose of truffle essence. It’s always best to be light-handed, then add more, rather than overdo it.
This simple, fresh breakfast is a great way to start your day without bogging your stomach down. For like, oh, let’s say a day at the beach. Yep, even after two months in Bali I’ve still got beach on the brain. What can I say, I’m a Cali girl through and through.
PS – I love 3-min poached eggs, but what you see in these photos is more like 4-min eggs. A little firmer than I like…but that’s what happens when you’re sidetracked setting up for food shots!
- 3-4 zucchini, medium
- 4 eggs, poached
- 15-20 cherry or plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp truffle salt
- pepper, to taste
- Poach your eggs (3-min eggs are my favorite), then set aside in a bowl or luke-warm water.
- Using either a mandoline or a vegetable peeler, slice your zucchini into thin ribbons. Lightly brush olive oil on both sides, then sprinkle with truffle salt and pepper.
- Heat your grill pan on medium-high heat. Place the zucchini ribbons on the grill pan for approximately 30 seconds, then flip. Remove and divide evenly between four plates.
- Place your tomatoes on the plate, then top with a poached egg and a few leaves of basil. Add any additional pepper before serving.
Other recipes you might like: