Pumpkin Spice Latte
A homemade pumpkin spice latte is a cozy and delicious way to spend your autumn mornings (or afternoon). This version is warm, perfectly sweet and spiced, and dosed with strong black coffee for that “coffee shop at home” holiday treat.
Okay, a Starbucks pumpkin spice latte is pretty good. But I can honestly say that making this pumpkin spice latte recipe at home is much more satisfying. You can make endless cups in your favorite mug, it’s lighter on your wallet, and tastes just as good – a triple win.
Once you’ve brewed some strong black coffee (or espresso shots for a traditional latte style) and combined it with a pot simmering the milk and all the pumpkin spices, your house is going to smell SO good. For me, there’s nothing more soothing than smelling autumnal flavors at the beginning of Fall.
Plus, this delightfully creamy latte always puts me in a better mood (especially on longer work days). So, just imagine how you’ll feel sipping on this cozy drink during the holidays!
What’s In This Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Good news – you’ve likely got most of these ingredients on hand already, except maybe the pumpkin puree. So next time you’re at the market, grab a can (or two)!
- Coffee: I’m brewing half a cup of strong coffee as I typically don’t make espresso at home. But if you have an espresso machine, two shots is all you need.
- Milk: Almond milk or cashew milk are always my go-to non-dairy milks for warm drinks. But if you’re not dairy-sensitive, half and half or your favorite cream will lend a much creamier consistency.
- Pumpkin Puree: What makes this pumpkin spice latte so tasty is the use of real pumpkin purée, which you can find in your local market’s canned section. Just make sure you don’t get pumpkin pie filling – there is a big difference!
- Maple Syrup: This is always my default sweetener choice. But you can also use honey or agave.
- Vanilla Extract: Just a touch goes a long way to tie all the flavors together. Here’s the vanilla extract I love to use by Simply Organic.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: You can buy pre-made pumpkin spice mix or make your own at home!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below
How To Make A Pumpkin Spice Latte
There’s quite a few ways to make a pumpkin spice latte, but if you don’t have a Vitamix or frother on hand (see tips below), simmering it in a pot is the way to go. Here’s how to do it.
- Make the initial pumpkin mixture. In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup over medium heat. Make sure that it doesn’t come to a boil (as it can easily boil over). Just let it simmer until it’s heated through.
- Whisk in the rest of the ingredients. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and coffee.
- Top it with the good stuff. Pour the mixture into your favorite mug and top it off with a dollop of whipped cream (I love to make my coconut whipped cream for this) and a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or extra pumpkin spice.
A Few Pumpkin Spice Latte Tips
If you have one, I highly recommend for an easier process! Just toss all the ingredients into the blender and blend for a few minutes until the blades warm up the mixture.
Absolutely. In your cup, mix together the espresso, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice and maple syrup. Froth the milk in your frother separately, then pour the milk into your cup with the espresso mixture. That’s it!
Blend up all the ingredients (except the milk) in a blender. Pour the coffee mixture over ice, then pour the milk over top until it’s perfectly creamy. Also, be sure to use cold brewed coffee instead of hot coffee.
More Pumpkin Recipes
Don’t let that leftover pumpkin puree go to waste! Instead, use it to whip up any of these deliciously sweet pumpkin recipes.
- Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Mousse
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Paleo Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe Video
While this recipe is super easy to make, it always helps to watch a quick tutorial video. Give it a watch below!
This pumpkin spice latte will surely get your buzz going for the day – in a good way. If you make it, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup strongly brewed coffee
- Optional: coconut whipped cream
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup over medium heat until the mixture is heated through.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and coffee.
- Pour the mixture into a mug and top it off with coconut whipped cream and a pinch of pumpkin spice.