Roasted Butternut Squash, Romaine and Goat Cheese Salad
This roasted butternut squash salad is easy and comes together fast. There’s just a handful of ingredients including roasted butternut squash, romaine lettuce, goat cheese, walnuts and sprouts but it’s packed with flavor. It’s a perfect fall salad recipe!
Butternut Squash Salad
The inspiration for this roasted butternut squash salad came from a trip to Bali several years ago. I ordered a very similar salad in a cafe in Ubud and was struck by how delicious something so incredibly simple could be.
The original salad had vegan cheese but I’ve topped mine with goat cheese, which is my favorite. You could absolutely swap in a vegan or dairy-free cheese if that’s your preference though.
An Easy Butternut Squash Salad
The flavor of the salad comes primarily from the roasted butternut squash that imparts an earthy and savory, yet creamy and sweet flavor. And while the ingredient list in this salad is minimal, the butternut squash is hearty enough to fill you up.
For the salad greens I deviated from my usual baby spinach and opted for romaine lettuce. It’s a mild, neutral, crispy lettuce that pairs well with the butternut squash. But you could also use spinach, kale or any other leafy greens.
The little spruce of extra-ness on this salad though comes from the sprouts. If you’ve been following me for a while, you know I’m a big fan of sprouts and microgreens!
I’m using onion sprouts for that beautiful light green color and those little black seeds, but radish sprouts or any sprouts will work just fine.
Since the original salad had a little circle of sprouts, that’s what I’ve done today. And I like the somewhat layered look for more texture. But you could absolutely add all of the ingredients all to a mixing bowl, stir it up and serve pre-mixed.
Before serving, just remember to add a sprinkle of fresh walnuts, salt and pepper and a drizzle of my champagne vinaigrette. And that’s it for a delicious, vibrant, hearty and flavorful roasted butternut squash salad.
If you happened to purchase two butternut squash, I highly recommend you whip up my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with the other. Enjoy!
For More Delicious Salad Recipes:
- Broccoli Salad
- Wild Rice and Arugula Salad
- Persimmon Caprese
- Roasted Delicata Squash, Pear and Pomegranate Salad
- Roasted Beet and Kale Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash, Romain and Goat Cheese Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sprouts, (I used onion sprouts)
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the ends off the butternut squash. Use a vegetable peeler to completely peel the butternut squash. With a flat surface on the bulb end, stand it up on end and carefully slice it in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and membrane. Dice the butternut squash into 1-inch sized pieces.
- Transfer the butternut squash to a baking tray, drizzle with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and use your hands to mix it up and make sure all the pieces are coated.
- Roast the butternut squash for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Roughly chop the romaine lettuce and add to serving plates. Top with the cooled butternut squash, chunks of goat cheese, a sprinkle of walnuts and a small handful of sprouts. Drizzle with the champagne vinaigrette.
- I realize that many can't get avocados in the fall (or at least reasonably priced), which is why I left it off this salad recipe. But if you can get your hands on an avocado it makes a great addition to this salad. Just dice it up and add it!