Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and Apple
This shaved Brussels sprouts salad is a crisp and flavorful recipe that comes together in just 10 minutes! It’s a blend of seasonal ingredients such as Brussels sprouts, red apples, and cranberries – tossed in a homemade lemon vinaigrette. I’d definitely say this is one of my favorite winter salads.
This month I’ve hopped on the Brussels sprouts bandwagon with my roasted Brussels sprouts, green shakshuka and balsamic bacon Brussels sprouts. But if you’ve got a bundle of sprouts leftover, a refreshing and hearty salad is the perfect way to make use of them.
This recipe is a mix of delicious autumn flavors and textures that’s tossed into a bed of shaved brussels sprouts. Now, before you say that raw Brussels sprouts don’t sound appetizing, I’d recommend you first take a bite of this recipe. The raw sprouts gives this salad a welcome crunch that’s accompanied by sweet apples and cranberries, creamy goat cheese and a tangy lemon dressing. Trust me, you’re gonna love it!
Brussels Sprout Salad Ingredients
With just 6 ingredients, you can whip up this recipe in no time. Here’s what you’ll need to pick up on your next trip to the market.
- Brussels sprouts: You’ll need about 1 pound of brussels sprouts – both packaged or fresh stalks work.
- Apple: I’ve chosen to use a red apple for its bright color and crisp sweetness. But, you can also use a honeycrisp, fuji, or green apple.
- Almonds: Sliced almonds are ideal to match the same thin texture of the brussels sprouts.
- Dried Cranberries: I prefer to use unsweetened dried cranberries.
- Onion: Red onions give it a sharp, yet sweet flavor.
- Goat Cheese: Adds a bit of creaminess and tastes oh so good!
- Vinaigrette Dressing: I’m using my lemon vinaigrette, but you can read more below on other vinaigrettes to use.
What Kind of Dressing to Use with this Salad
With a brussels sprout salad, most vinaigrettes will pair well. Aside from my lemon vinaigrette, you can also use an apple cider vinaigrette, citrus lime vinaigrette, dijon vinaigrette, or champagne vinaigrette. Choose your favorite to brighten up this recipe!
What’s the Best Way to Shave Brussels Sprouts?
While there’s a few ways to shave brussels sprouts, here are 2 ways that I think give the best results.
- Use a knife. Trim the knob off, and thinly slice the sprouts into shredded pieces. You can cut them in half first as well, for smaller pieces.
- Use a food processor. Simply use the shredding blade attachment to quickly shave the sprouts. Just remember to cut the ends off first.
Note: You can also prep the shaved Brussels sprouts ahead of time. Just store them in a sealed container or large Stasher bag and place it in the fridge for up to 2 days. Then when you’re ready to make your salad, just toss the rest of the ingredients together and you’re good to go!
How To Make Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Create this salad in just 4 easy steps! Here’s what to do.
- Prep the brussels sprouts by shaving them into thin slices.
- Make the dressing by vigorously whisking all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add all of the salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the salad dressing on top and toss the salad until everything is combined.
More Hearty Salad Recipes
Need some new ideas on how to freshen up you salad routine with seasonal ingredients? Here’s a few of my favorite recipes to try.
- Kale Salad With Apples and Chicken
- Lentil Salad With Cucumber
- Classic Waldorf Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Romaine and Goat Cheese Salad
- Wild Rice and Arugula Salad
- Broccoli Salad
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 ounces goat cheese
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large lemons, juiced (approx 1/3 cup juice)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey, or maple syrup
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the dressing by combining all the of dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Use a whisk to vigorously blend and emulsify the dressing.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and toss the salad to combine.
- If you want a more flavorful salad, let the brussels sprout sit for 30 minutes (after tossing) to absorb the dressing.
- This salad will last for up to a few days in the fridge.