Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado, Spinach, Prosciutto and Poached Egg
Sweet potato toast is a delicious and healthy gluten-free breakfast alternative. This version is topped with avocado, spinach, prosciutto and a poached egg.
I think I’m in breakfast heaven! And it all comes down to three words: sweet potato toast.
As a gluten-free gal I’ve gotten used to not eating bread. It’s just the way it is. And honestly, I really don’t miss it that much. Sure, I’ll have the odd slice of gluten-free toast on occasion (yep, moderation friends), but I don’t crave bread the way I used to. My life just seems more complete with healthy veggies, protein, fruit and nuts – which also makes me feel heaps better.
When food makes you feel good, you want more of that!
BUT, oh, I had no idea what you could do with these brilliant little slices of sweet potato. Like top it with layers of healthy goodness. And then die and go to heaven. Seriously.
Now here in the US “avocado toast” isn’t really a thing. But it’s totally a thing in my motherland, New Zealand…as well as in Australia and many parts of Europe. So what is “avocado toast” or “avo toast” – it’s simply just that. Toast topped with sliced or smashed avocado. Similar to how we put butter on bread or cream cheese on bagels. But far healthier.
Lately on Instagram I’ve been watching my southern hemisphere friends post pics of “avo toast” – so it got me thinking. Could I recreate those pics with sweet potato toast to maintain gluten-free, paleo-friendly glory? Well, yes and yes!
And let me tell ya, not only did it come out ridiculously good, it tasted ridiculously good. I mean, who doesn’t love a little yolk drizzle?!
I love this combo of avocado, spinach, prosciutto and poached egg…but I have a feeling I’ll be whipping up new flavor combos here shortly. My brain is buzzing with inspiration!
PS – I made another version of sweet potato toast with avocados, cucumber and smoked salmon.
Sweet Potato "Toast" with Avocado, Spinach, Prosciutto and Poached Egg
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 avocado, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- parsley, for garnishment
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potato. Slice the potato lengthwise, into even slices, using a mandoline.
- Lightly oil both sides of the sweet potato slices, then place on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly toasted.
- While the potato is baking, bring a pot of water to a simmer. Crack and poach the eggs for 3-4 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pot and place in a bowl of room temperature water (while the potato is still baking).
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with 1 tbsp of oil and cook the prosciutto for 1 minute on each side. Remove and place on a paper towel.
- Once the potato has cooked, add to a plate and top with smashed avocado, baby spinach, a slice of prosciutto and a poached egg.
Other recipes you might like: