Creamy Pico De Gallo
Creamy pico de gallo is perfect for those who want a creamier dipping sauce and a slightly less spicy salsa. And it couldn’t be easier to make! It’s just my authentic Pico de Gallo recipe plus Greek yogurt. This new version may not be as traditional, but it sure is a tasty variation.
Recently I made a double batch of my favorite Pico de Gallo recipe for a party and had leftovers, so stored it in the fridge. As luck would have it, I had some homemade yogurt in the fridge and the next day as I saw both next to each other it dawned on me. I should combine them!
Creamy Pico de Gallo is a great way to switch up your normal salsa routine. And it’s a great option for those who prefer creamy dips and dressings, like ranch, French onion dip or spinach artichoke dip.
What makes Greek Yogurt so special?
While I initially made this recipe with regular yogurt, I do recommend Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has a thicker consistency and it’s a great source of protein, calcium, vitamin B-12 and probiotics which is great for your gut bacteria (I’m always talking about gut health in my Instagram stories). Greek yogurt also has less sugar and carbs compared to regular, non-Greek yogurts and because it has less whey, it tends to be creamier and thicker.
Can Yogurt Cool Spicy Food?
Yogurt has a natural cooling effect, so it’s also perfect for those friends or family members who like a less spicy salsa. If you’re bold and put serrano pepper in your pico de gallo, then the Greek yogurt will strip out much of the spice.
If you’ve ever devoured something way over your spice threshold (like me… all the time) then you’ve probably heard you need to drink milk (rather than water) to cool down your taste buds. That’s because the casein in milk neutralizes the capsaicin from the pepper. In this recipe, the yogurt plays the role of milk and reduces some of that spicy kick. But trust me, there’s still plenty of awesome spicy flavor in this recipe.
This creamy pico de gallo is amazingly delicious, surprisingly easy and great with my cassava tortilla chips, cucumber slices and celery sticks. Enjoy!
More Healthy Mexican Recipes to Try!
- Citrus Shrimp Ceviche
- Carne Asada
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Citrus Carrot Slaw
- Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw
- Mango Margarita (No Sugar Added!)
Creamy Pico De Gallo
Pico de Gallo
- 4 Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 2/3 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 serrano pepper or jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- Place all the ingredients for the pico de gallo in a bowl and stir together.
- In separate bowl, add the Greek yogurt. Then add the pico de gallo, which should be approximately 3 cups. I recommend scooping the pico de gallo rather than pouring it into the yogurt, so you don't add the extra juices at the bottom of the bowl. This will keep your dip thicker and creamier.
- Serve with chips or veggies and enjoy.
- This recipe makes approximately 4 cups of creamy pico de gallo.
- If you're trying to make a smaller or larger batch of the creamy pico de gallo, combine the pico de gallo and Greek yogurt at a 2:1 ration (ex. 2 cups of pico de gallo to 1 cup yogurt).