Grilled Salmon Steaks with Creamy Mustard Chive Sauce
These quick and easy grilled salmon steaks are a must during summer! They take less than 15-minutes to make, are super moist, and have a deliciously smoky char. Plus, the drizzle of the creamy mustard chive sauce really is quite magical.
What Is A Salmon Steak?
When it comes to cooking salmon in the oven, I tend to gravitate towards fillets because they’re fast and easy, like my garlic herb baked salmon recipe. But when I’m in the mood for grilling, salmon steaks reign supreme. That’s because the salmon is cut perpendicular to the spine, and its bone structure, thickness, and skin all help hold the salmon together as it cooks (aka no meat falling between the grates).
Just like any other bone-in meats, a salmon steak can hold more flavor than boneless. The only downside is that it has teeny tiny pin bones you’ll have to watch out for when eating (you can have your fishmonger remove these). But other than that, I say give salmon steaks a try if you haven’t already – especially this insanely good grilled version.
Ingredients For The Best Salmon Steak Recipe
To properly cook salmon steaks, all you really need is some oil, salt and pepper. But this mustard chive sauce is the cherry on top. It’s tangy, creamy, and really elevates each bite of salmon with savory flavors. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Salmon Steaks: You can use fresh or frozen. But if you’re using frozen, make sure to let them come to room temperature before grilling.
- Mustard: Make sure to use stone ground mustard for added texture and flavor!
- Greek Yogurt: Any dairy or non-dairy option will work.
- Chives: Finely chopped chives add a ton of freshness to the sauce.
- Honey: Just a tablespoon for a touch of sweetness.
- Lemon Juice: Helps to brighten up the creamy, savor flavors.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How To Make Grilled Salmon Steaks
You can honestly pan fry or bake a salmon steak. But grilling it up is so easy and imparts that delicious charred flavor (and beautiful grill marks). So let me walk you through this process.
- Prep the salmon steaks. Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Then brush both sides of the salmon steaks with oil, and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Grill it up! Grill the salmon for 5-7 minutes each side, depending on thickness. Then use a spatula to flip the salmon steak. Don’t use tongs to squeeze and pick it up as it may fall apart from how tender the meat gets.
- Make the sauce. As the salmon is cooking, stir together the mustard, yogurt, chives, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Ready to serve. Plate the salmon and drizzle a generous amount of the creamy mustard chive sauce on top.
Tips For Grilling Salmon Steaks
- Don’t remove the big bone, but you can ask your fishmonger at your local market to help remove the smaller pin bones.
- Make sure to pat the salmon steak completely dry before oiling and grilling. If there’s additional moisture, it will likely stick to the grill.
- Salmon steak will continue to cook as it cools, so remove it a smidge before it’s about done.
- The cook time will depend on how thick your fillet is and how well-done you like your fish. So just keep an eye on it as it grills, because it does cook fast!
Ways To Serve Grilled Salmon Steaks
These salmon steaks are super flavorful on their own, so a light side dish is all you really need to round out your meal.
- Make a simple side salad. A few ideas are my cucumber salad, vinegar coleslaw, or greek salad. These recipes are super easy to make and won’t overpower the salmon.
- Pair with cooked veggies. While your salmon is grilling, whip up either sauteed spinach, sauteed cabbage, or green beans.
How To Store And Reheat Salmon Steaks
- For storing: If you’ve got some leftover salmon steak, it will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge in a sealed container. You can store it whole, or flake it to use in other recipes.
- How to freeze: Make sure your salmon is completely cool before freezing. Then top it on parchment paper in a storage container to prevent it from sticking to the sides.
- How to reheat: Reheating salmon can be tricky since it’s already cooked. So the key here is to reheat it low and slow, either in the microwave or oven, to prevent it from drying out. And if it’s frozen, make sure to thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
More Easy Salmon Recipes
Looking to add more salmon into your weekly rotation? You’ll love these fun and tasty variations! Plus, I’ve got a whole list of salmon recipes for even more delicious inspiration.
- Orange Glazed Salmon
- Salmon Avocado Salad
- Salmon Patties
- Dijon Baked Salmon
- Air Fryer Salmon (with a spiced Dijon seasoning)
If you make these grilled salmon steaks, let me know how they turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Grilled Salmon Steak with Creamy Mustard Chive Sauce
- 2 salmon steaks
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Creamy Mustard Chive Sauce
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt (dairy or dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of the salmon steaks with avocado oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the salmon for 5-7 minutes each side, depending on thickness. To flip, use a spatula underneath rather than grabbing from the side with tongs (as it may cause the salmon to fall apart).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the mustard, yogurt, chives, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- To serve, plate the salmon and drizzle a generous amount of the creamy mustard chive sauce on top.
That sauce looks amazing! And you are right, grilled salmon is one of the best ways of cooking it.
Hi Lisa san, I like the sauce and it’s so delicious!! I ve never bothered buying wild salmon in my life till I saw your utube. Although it’s costly but it’s definitely worth the money. Thank you for the inspiration.
Wild salmon is the way to go when shopping for salmon – but glad you took a chance on it and enjoyed this recipe Michiko!
I eat a lot of salmon, and I love trying out different salmon steak recipes. This is on the menu for next week!
Excited for you to give this one a go!
Made this for friends last weekend, for the 4th. It was EXCELLENT !!
Thanks for helping me to look like a chef.
Happy to hear this was a winning dish for July 4th!
This recipe is AMAZING! I followed it to the letter and it turned out great! Thank you for sharing such approachable and delicious recipes. I can’t wait for the cookbook :)
Glad you enjoyed these grilled salmon steaks Mackenzie!
Thank you for sharing these salmon recipes my favorite fish healthy😇 and😋💯👍
Of course! Hope you enjoy this delicious grilled salmon :)
This was everything a gourmet meal should be, and then some! Easily, a new favorite dish; my whole family loved it!
Happy to hear the whole family enjoyed these salmon steaks!
We can’t get enough of these salmon steaks! So flaky and delicious!
Happy to hear you loved these salmon steaks Suzy!
Oh wow! This grilled salmon steak looks so delicious and very tasty. My daughter and I are going to be all over this recipe! The sauce looks great too! Can’t wait to try this!
The mustard chive sauce is the cherry on top :)
This was so delicious and simple! Thanks so much for another great recipe!
Glad you enjoyed these salmon steaks Keri!
Sadly, I don’t see these very often at my local market. I’m going to have to find a fish shop because these look delish! And so simple to make!
Your local fishmonger should have good quality salmon steaks on hand :)