Soy Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
Soy garlic ginger chicken wings are a sticky, sweet and flavorful appetizer with a kick. They’re infused with a soy, ginger, and garlic marinade, then baked until golden. Serve these tasty wings during game day or your next party. But be warned – they might just disappear in an instant!
If you’re like me, nothing gets better than crispy chicken wings served with a delicious finger-lickin’ sauce. You get a sweet and savory crunch on the outside and fresh juicy chicken on the inside. It’s a match made in heaven.
But if you think you can only achieve a hint of crispiness by deep frying- think again. Today, I’ll be showing you how to re-create your favorite sports bar wings that are baked right in the oven. All you need is a wire rack and a baking sheet to turn these wings into the best Super Bowl or party appetizer recipe.
Soy Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings Ingredients
For the base of the wings, here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Wings – 2 pounds, which is about 20-24 wings (make sure the tips are removed and drumettes are separated)
- Avocado Oil – 1 tablespoon (You can also use any olive oil)
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
As for the sauce, soy-garlic-ginger is one tasty combination that fuses all the right asian flavors together. It’s sweet, tangy, and the fresh garlic and ginger give it a punch of flavor. To make the sauce, just gather together these ingredients:
- Honey – 1/2 cup
- Soy Sauce – 1/4 cup (I’ve used Tamari for gluten-free soy sauce and you could use coconut aminos as well)
- Garlic Cloves – 4 large cloves minced
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon finely diced fresh ginger
- Water – 1/4 cup
How To Make Chicken Wings
Once you’ve prepped your wings, simply pop them in the oven, make the sauce while you’re waiting, then toss them together.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove any moisture from the chicken wings using a paper towel to blot.
- Toss the wings with oil, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- On a wire rack, spread the wings out into a single layer. Make sure to place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet first, then place the wire rack on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until crispy.
- While the wings are cooking, make the sauce. Add the honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and water to a small pot. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to a low setting and let it simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool. Note that it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Remove wings from the oven and toss them in the sauce. Then place them back into the oven on the wire rack and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
If you have any leftover sauce you can coat the chicken wings again or serve it as a dipping sauce!
Chicken Wings Recipe Video
Want to see me make these chicken wings? I’ll walk you through it step-by-step in the video below, give it a watch!
How To Get Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
While baking your wings in the oven naturally gives a slight crispy exterior, there are a few ways to get a bigger crunch without deep frying. You can either parboil the wings or coat them in baking powder.
Parboil The Chicken Before Baking
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the chicken wings in it for about 10 minutes. When you boil, it removes some of the excess fat from the skin creating a thinner layer that can crisp more easily.
- Drain the wings in a colander and blot them dry using a paper towel. Make sure to give each wing a good squeeze. The more water you can remove, the crispier they will be.
Coat The Wings In Baking Powder
- Use 1 tablespoon of baking powder (not baking soda) to evenly coat the wings. Then add on the additional seasonings such as salt and pepper.
What To Serve With Chicken Wings
Want more party appetizers to serve with your chicken wings? You can always slice some fresh veggies such as celery sticks, cucumbers, or bell peppers, and serve with a creamy hummus.
But if you’re looking to prep a whole table full of party appetizers, here’s a few reader-favorite recipes!
- Best Ever Guacamole
- Carne Asada Fries
- Pico De Gallo
- French Onion Dip
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
Soy Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings - Baked Chicken Wings
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, see notes below
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, and drumettes separated (24-26 chicken wings)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a paper towel to remove any moisture from the chicken wings.
- Toss the wings with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet then place a wire rack on top. Spread out the wings on a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until crispy.
- While the wings are cooking, make the sauce. Add the honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and water to a small pot. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to low letting it simmer for 10 minutes - or until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Remove wings from the oven. Toss the wings in the sauce and place them back in the oven on the baking sheet and cook for an additional 10 minutes.