Zucchini chips are a delicious way to turn this summer vegetable into a healthy and satisfying snack. Fresh zucchini is sliced into wafer-thin rounds, tossed gently with olive oil and seasonings, then baked into delightfully crispy chips.
Zucchini chips are a creative way to make use of an abundance of zucchini for a tasty, healthy snack. They’re thin and crispy and can be jazzed up with your favorite spice blends. Trust me, you’ll want to make a big batch of these because they’re highly addictive.
Picking Out The Best Zucchini
When shopping for zucchini, look for thick, jumbo size squash. Since zucchini are about 95% water, they shrink dramatically in the oven by about 25%.
Also, make sure they don’t have any soft brown spots. You want them to be in their prime, ripe stage that’s more firm than soft.
How to Make Zucchini Chips (Just 3 Easy Steps!)
Baking zucchini into crispy chips takes a few simple steps and some oven time. Here’s how to do it:
- Slice the zucchini: Use a mandoline to slice the zucchini into the thinnest slices possible.
- Coat and season: Toss the sliced zucchini gently in olive oil to keep the rounds intact. Season them with salt and pepper, or sprinkle with your favorite dried spices.
- Bake low and slow: Set your oven temperature to 200 degrees fahrenheit and bake the chips for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
Tips for the Crunchiest Zucchini Chips
If you want your zucchini chips to deliver crunchy goodness without the hassle and health hazards of frying, follow these suggestions:
- Use a mandoline. Thin slices that are about 1/16-inch will give you the crunchiest zucchini chips possible. Thicker chips may get crispy on the edges but will remain soft in the middle.
- Don’t forget the oil. Coating the chips lightly with olive or avocado oil will help crisp up the chips as they bake. If you find that the chips have a little oil clinging to the bottom, arrange them on paper towels to absorb any extra oil.
- Be conservative with seasoning. Go very light on any seasoning, since the spices will become more concentrated when the zucchini shrink in the oven.
- Use parchment paper. Don’t line your baking sheet with a Silpat as this will keep the chips from getting crispy on the bottom. If you’re concerned about reducing kitchen waste, you can wipe parchment paper and reuse it. Some brands of unbleached parchment paper are recyclable or compostable.
Spice up your zucchini chips with your favorite ground seasoning blends. When seasoning the chips, sprinkle just a tiny amount on each zucchini round. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Smoked paprika, garlic, and marjoram
- Cumin, coriander, and chili powder
- Dried basil, oregano, and red chili flakes
- Curry powder, cardamom, and ginger
Ways to Serve
- Dip them into my healthy spinach artichoke dip, roasted red pepper hummus, or vegan tzatziki for a savory party appetizer.
- Crumble them on top of a simple salad recipe for additional crunch.
- Enjoy them as a healthy snack simply on its own.
More Healthy Zucchini Recipes
This vegetable is undeniably versatile. Here’s a few more reader-favorite ways to cook zucchini…
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Paleo Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Fritters
- Zucchini Noodles with Chicken
- Baked Zucchini Fries
Baked Zucchini Chips (Thin & Crispy)
- 1 large zucchini, about 3/4 pound
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees fahrenheit.
- Using a mandoline, slice the zucchini on the thinnest setting possible (usually 1/8" or 1/16" thick).
- Place the zucchini slices in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the oil over the zucchini slices and toss gently to coat, being careful not to break the slices.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange the zucchini slices on the parchment paper so they are not touching. But you can place them close to each other, as they'll shrink when they cook.
- Sprinkle salt very lightly and evenly on each slice.
- Place zucchini in the oven and bake until crisp and golden, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Once the chips are crispy, turn off the heat and prop the oven door and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Serve chips alone or with your dip of choice.