Zucchini Noodles with Chicken, Spinach and Parmesan
Zucchini noodles with chicken, spinach and parmesan are a light, low-carb and healthy recipe. Zucchini noodles are easy to make with my favorite spiralizer and they only take a couple of minutes to cook.
Because I’m obsessed with zucchini noodles (as a gluten-free gal) I’ve tried every which way to make them. Check out my comprehensive guide for 5 Ways to Make Zucchini Noodles (and how best to cook them).
Zucchini Noodles Recipe
I included this zucchini noodles recipe in my first Meal Prep video. It’s one of my “go to” zucchini noodle recipes because it’s so darn easy and flavorful. And it’s perfect year round.
Zucchini noodles are extremely versatile but a simple sauté with garlic and spinach can’t be beat. Add in some diced herb baked chicken and you’ve got yourself a complete meal.
If you stop there you’ve made a gluten-free, dairy-free, Whole30 compliant recipe. But if you are okay with dairy, then a little sprinkle fresh parmesan cheese elevates this recipe with a salty, nutty, creaminess. The final recipe is paleo, low-carb, keto friendly and absolutely delicious.
Zucchini Noodles with Chicken Recipe Video
While it’s easy to make this recipe, it always helps to watch a quick tutorial video. Give it a watch below!
How to Make This Zucchini Noodles Recipe in 5 Steps (So Easy!)
- Bake the Chicken: I meal prep herbed baked chicken all the time, then dice and store in the fridge to add to zucchini noodles and salad recipes throughout the week. To bake the chicken, preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Sprinkle the chicken with a variety of herbs, like garlic powder, dried basil, dried parsley, dried thyme and dried rosemary. Cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size) or until a digital thermometer reaches 165 degrees. Remove from the oven, let sit for 2-3 minutes, then dice up.
- Make Zucchini Noodles: I spiralize one small to medium-sized zucchini per person. A large zucchini may serve 1-2 people. There are several tools you can use to make zucchini noodles, but the Paderno Spiralizer is my favorite method.
- Sauté Garlic and Spinach: Heat a large sauté pan on medium heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil. Mince 3 garlic cloves, add that to the pan and stir for 30 seconds. Then add 4 cups of baby spinach and stir until wilted.
- Combine Everything: Add the zucchini noodles to the sauté pan along with 2 cups of diced chicken and toss for 1-2 minutes. The key is not cooking the zucchini noodles, but simply warming them up. If you overcook them, they’ll quickly turn soggy. It’s best to keep them al dente.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan: Add a portion of the zucchini noodles to each plate and sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese. I also like to add freshly cracked black pepper.
Can You Make Zucchini Noodles Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Zucchini noodles are one of the items I meal prep most frequently.
After you’ve spiralized the zucchini noodles place them in an airtight storage container. Line the storage container with a paper towel (I like this paper towel that’s unbleached, dye-free and fragrance-free) to absorb any excess moisture.
The zucchini noodles will stay good for several days in the refrigerator. But don’t try to freeze them – they’ll go mushy.
More Healthy Zucchini Noodles Recipes
Love zucchini noodle recipes? Give these other favorites a try.
- Zucchini Noodle Caprese
- Zucchini Pasta with Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- Carrot and Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Cucumber Sauce
- Zucchini Noodle Spaghetti Bolognese
Zucchini Noodles with Chicken, Spinach and Parmesan
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large zucchini, spiralized
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and coat both sides with 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil. Sprinkle the dried garlic, other herbs and salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken. Cook the chicken for 20-30 minutes or until a digital thermometer reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit. Remove the chicken from the oven, let sit for 2-3 minutes, then dice it up.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Then add the baby spinach and stir until it's wilted down, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once all of the spinach has wilted down, add the zucchini noodles and diced chicken. Stir together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add a portion of the zucchini noodles to plate and sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper.
- To make this recipe fast (in 5 minutes during the week!) - meal prep your zucchini noodles and baked chicken ahead of time. You could also used shredded chicken. Then all you have to do is sauté and combine.
- Make sure to read this post on my favorite meal prep containers (that aren't plastic). These are what I use to meal prep every week.
- To make this recipe dairy-free and Whole30 compliant omit the parmesan.
Recipe originally published December 2018, but updated to include new information.