This carnitas omelette is a delicious way to bring the best Mexican flavors to the breakfast table. It’s filled with tender pork carnitas, slightly caramelized fajita veggies, and topped with (you guessed it) guacamole, sour cream, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Whenever I make a batch of my insanely delicious carnitas I try to think of new and creative recipes to use up the leftovers. And since breakfast is one of my favorite meals, I was inspired to make a hearty, savory omelette out of it! Because let’s be honest, omelettes (aside from egg scrambles) are a great way to use up leftover ingredients.
It was a quick and easy throw-together recipe with some leftover fajita veggies. But boy did this turn out so good. Heck, I’d even say this is Sunday brunch worthy to impress your guests. And when you dip each bite into a pile of guacamole and sour cream, it really takes it over the top.
What’s In This Carnitas Omelette Recipe?
With the carnitas and fajita veggies already made, all you really need to do is whip up the egg base! Here’s what you’ll need.
- Butter or oil: You’ll need a little something to grease the pan. Some people love butter (or ghee), some love oil, I personally love bacon grease.
- Eggs: Just 3 large eggs are needed for a hefty sized omelette.
- Carnitas: My slow cooker recipe makes some crazy good carnitas – just sayin’.
- Fajita Veggies: A delicious way to sneak in greens and Mexican flavors into this omelette!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Remember, Pan Size Matters
This omelette is made with an 10-inch, non-stick pan, which has an interior diameter of 8-inches. It’s a big boy sized omelette! If you’d like a smaller omelette, you could make this in an 8-inch pan (which has a 6-inch interior diameter) with 2 eggs.
How To Make An Omelette, Carnitas Style
If you’ve never made an omelette before, don’t fret. It’s super easy with the help of a pan lid. You’ll see!
Make the egg base. First, whisk up the eggs with a fork in a small bowl. In your pan, heat the butter over medium heat, then pour the eggs into an even layer. Turn it down to low, cover with a lid, and let it cook until it’s not runny anymore. Just 1-2 minutes!
Add in the good stuff. Pile on the carnitas and fajita veggies to one side of the omelette. Then fold the other half over and slowly slide the omelette onto your plate. That’s it!
Ways To Serve Carnitas Omelette
You can serve as is with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream, but why not go the extra length for an even better omelette. Here’s a few ideas for seriously delicious flavors.
- Add dips: Make a batch of pico de gallo or this restaurant style salsa for a refreshing bite. Plus, you can save the rest to snack on with tortilla chips. Can’t beat a two-for-one!
- Drizzle a sauce: When it comes to Tex-Mex flavors, a drizzle of lime crema or chipotle sauce always kicks my meals up a notch.
- Sprinkle herbs: A sprinkle of cilantro for the best Mexican flavor!
More Egg Recipes For Breakfast
If you love eggs as much as I do, you’ll be glad to know I’ve got a full roundup of egg recipes to enjoy. But here’s a quick glance into a few reader favorites.
If you make this carnitas omelette, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, or oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup carnitas
- 1/3 cup fajita veggies
- Optional toppings: guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and cheese.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk the eggs.
- In a 10-inch non-stick pan, heat the butter or oil over medium heat. Pour in the eggs and make sure they're evenly spread out, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Add a lid and cook the eggs for about 2 minutes, or until the top is no longer runny.
- Add the cooked crispy carnitas and fajita veggies onto half of the omelette.
- Use a spatula to fold the other half on top and slide the omelette onto a plate.
- Garnish the omelette with guacamole, sour cream and your favorite toppings.