Chicken fajitas are an easy and flavorful weeknight meal. A classic Mexican recipe, juicy chicken is seasoned, seared and cooked to perfection, then tossed with sauteed bell peppers and onions. A squeeze of fresh lime adds a punch of flavor and the chicken fajitas are served with warm tortillas and toppings. You can’t beat this healthy family favorite recipe.
Chicken Fajita Ingredients
Don’t you just love meals that only require a few basic ingredients? Well this chicken fajita recipe is just that. All you need is chicken, bell pepper, onion, lime juice and spices, plus tortillas and your favorite toppings. It’s incredibly easy.
It’s a one-pan recipe and in less than 30 minutes, you’ll have a tasty meal (I can’t get enough of those Mexican spices) that also makes for the best leftovers or meal prep.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning is Best
While you can buy pre-made seasoning packets, I’d caution against it. Nothing compares to the flavor of homemade fajita seasoning and it’s easy to whip up. Plus, you’ll avoid any unnecessary fillers and additives. Here’s a quick rundown of the spices you’ll need:
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
Once you’ve made your fajita seasoning, the chicken fajitas come together fast. Just follow these simple steps:
- Season the chicken. Generously sprinkle the fajita seasoning on both sides of the chicken and use your fingers to press it in.
- Cook the chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly coat it with a drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil. Sear the chicken breasts for about 7-8 minutes on each side. Then remove them from the pan and let them rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
- Saute the bell peppers and onion. While the chicken is cooking, cut the bell peppers and onions into thin slices. Then saute them in the same skillet over medium heat for a few minutes until caramelized. You’re essentially making fajita veggies.
- Mix together. Add the chicken back into the skillet, squeeze fresh lime juice on top and stir everything together.
- Wrap it up. Serve immediately with tortillas and extra toppings.
Chicken Fajita Recipe Video
With a little slicing and sautéing you can whip up this recipe in no time. Watch the video below to see how I make it!
Do You Need A Cast Iron Skillet?
When it comes to cooking the chicken, a cast iron skillet is ideal for searing. It gives a nice char to it and maximizes the flavors from the seasoning. Just make sure to season your cast iron properly to prevent sticking. But if you don’t own a cast iron pan, you can use a stainless steel pan as well.
Customize Your Chicken Fajitas
While chicken fajitas taste great on their own, toppings can make all the difference. From a dollop of sour cream to cheese or avocado slices, fajitas are a fun way to serve customizable options for your family or a large party! A few of my favorite toppings are pico de gallo and guacamole.
And if you’ve got some chicken fajitas leftover, don’t limit yourself to just wrapping them in tortillas. You can use butter lettuce to make lettuce wraps for a lighter option. Or, you can throw them in a bowl with some leafy greens, black beans, sweet corn and avocado for an easy fajita salad.
Can You Meal Prep Chicken Fajitas?
Absolutely! This is a great recipe to make ahead as the sautéed chicken and vegetables will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. Just store them in a sealed container and then reheat before adding to a tortilla or salad.
More Fajita Recipes to Try
If you love fajitas as much as I do, I think you’ll love these tasty variations!
More Easy Mexican Recipes
- Huevos Rancheros
- Mexican Chicken Zucchini Noodles
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Taco Soup
- Mexican Rice
- Carne Asada
- Shrimp Tacos
And you can wash down all that deliciousness with a classic margarita or mango margarita. Enjoy!
Chicken Fajitas - Easy & Flavorful!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- Add the fajitas seasoning ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir together.
- Generously sprinkle the fajita seasoning on both sides of the chicken and use your fingers to press it into the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sear the chicken breasts for about 7-8 minutes on each side.
- While your chicken is cooking, cut the bell peppers and onion into thin slices.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove it to a plate and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Add the bell peppers and onion to the same skillet over medium heat and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the bell peppers are just about done sauteing, slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and stir everything together.
- Serve immediately with tortillas and extra toppings such as sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole.
I don’t normally leave ratings however, this recipe will be a staple in our household. It’s simple yet bold and authentic tasting. The cast iron suggestion is a must. My chicken breast came out so juicy and tender! Using the perfect herbs and spices rubbed in and the high heat from the skillet with olive oil 7-8 minutes on each side was key. Resting the meat is important. The ‘rest’ fell into place. The whole family table was oohing and aahing the whole time. Thank you for this recipe.
I’m so thrilled you loved it!
This was soooooo delicious. I followed the recipe as is and watched your video. This is by far the best chicken fajita recipe I ever made. It’s even better than what I’ve had in restaurants. It’s is so flavorful and the extra freshness of the lime, took it over the top! Please add me to your mailing list. I don’t want to miss any of your new recipes. Thank you so much! This is a winner and a keeper!
Thanks so much, Merri! I’m happy you loved the recipe. And for my mailing list, make sure to sign up using the button at the top of my website. :)
This was incredible! I made it vegan using a soy based chick’n (Daring is my fave). I also added zucchini, squash, and mushrooms.
Love all the additional vegetables!
I used chicken tenders, not on purpose but husband bought wrong chicken. It really good and well seasoned so probably would do it again. Everyone loved it!
Glad this still turned out great with chicken tenders!
Love this, super easy and I end up making it about 1X a week for easy, tasty dinners. My kids love them…
Happy to hear the whole family is loving this recipe :)
These were so incredibly flavorful! My family loved them. I did substitute chicken thigh instead of breasts because I am not a dry meat fan haha but they turned out absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe!
Made these for cinco de Mayo and they were so simple, easy and delicious! Probably the easiest and most delicious fajitas recipe I have ever tried which is so nice! Definitely will be making again!
Awesome! So happy you loved the recipe, Jessica. :)