40+ Best Low Carb Recipes
These insanely delicious low-carb recipes are anything but boring! From hearty soups, to flaky fish, savory kabobs and loaded breakfast casseroles, these healthy recipes (for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!) will fuel your low-carb life.
If you’re just starting a low carb or keto-friendly diet, don’t get discouraged by what you can’t eat. Instead, think about all the delicious wholesome ingredients you can eat! And yes, I’m talking about all sorts of meats, seafoods, and a rainbow of vegetables to choose from.
The key here is to get creative with ingredient combinations, and have fun with zesty spices and zingy marinades to uplevel your meals. Below, I’ll give you the guidance you need to build those low-carb essentials, plus I’ll share few exciting meals that will add some fun to your weekly rotation!
Essential Low-Carb Proteins (aka They’re Super Versatile)
No carbs? No problem. Because you’ve got an endless supply of protein options to make a tasty, satiating meal! From chicken to salmon to meltingly tender pork, here’s how to properly cook each one in the easiest, most delicious way possible.
- Best Baked Chicken Breast: Say goodbye to boring, dry chicken, because this recipe shows you how to achieve juicy, flavorful results. And if you’re craving more of an herbed topping, give my herb baked chicken breast a try!
- Best Baked Salmon: All you need for the most tender, flaky salmon is this super simple garlic herb topping sauce plus 15 minutes in the oven.
- Baked Cod: Top your cod with this spiced herb butter. It couldn’t be more simple. And trust me, you’ll never bake your cod any other way again.
- Slow Cooker Carnitas: Oh yes, you can make restaurant style carnitas right at home with a slow cooker! You won’t believe how tender this is.
- Garlic Butter Shrimp: This pan of juicy, buttery shrimp is the perfect protein addition to numerous low carb meals! And if you love to grill, these garlic grilled shrimp skewers are a must.
Low-Carb Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Now that you know how to make juicy, baked chicken breasts, let’s put them to work in a variety of sizzling skillet meals or hearty salads! And if you’re a chicken thigh fan, I’ve got plenty of flavorful marinades and spice rubs that will have you salivating.
- Chicken Fajitas: Saute sliced chicken breasts with bell peppers, onions, and spices for a super easy and flavorful weeknight meal.
- Greek Chicken Kabobs: Grilled chunks of chicken breast are drenched in lemon, garlic, oregano, and olive oil for a bright Mediterranean flair.
- Cilantro Lime Chicken: It goes without saying that cilantro lime anything is SO GOOD – especially on juicy chicken thighs.
- Ultimate Chicken Salad: Once you make some poached chicken, it’s easy to whip up this super fresh and hearty salad. Bonus – you can eat it straight out of the bowl or wrap it in butter leaf lettuce.
- Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs: Skip the fryer and make these healthier baked chicken thighs that are oh, so crispy!
- Mandarin Chicken Salad: Make a batch of shredded chicken and toss it with mandarins, avocado, cucumber, spinach, and crunchy toppings for the ultimate summer salad!
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps: Lettuce wraps always make for the best low-carb meal. So if you’re looking for some tasty Asian flavors, you’re going to love this version.
Satiating Low-Carb Beef And Pork Recipes
If you’re a beef or pork lover, you’re in luck! There’s plenty of room for these two meats in a low-carb diet, especially when you need a break from chicken. They impart deeply succulent flavors and can easily be paired with a variety of veggies for a well, rounded meal.
- Beef Barbacoa: Amp up your shredded beef game with flavorful chilies, spices, and a low and slow cooking process for Mexican-inspired meat that falls right apart.
- Fried Cabbage: You can always count on bacon for a mouthwatering punch of flavor with sauteed with green cabbage.
- Taco Salad: There’s no need for a tortilla to enjoy those classic beef taco flavors. In fact, you might like this hearty salad even better.
- Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats: This low-carb taco recipe stuffs seasoned ground beef into scooped out zucchini halves. I guarantee the kiddos will love this one!
- Carne Asada: Whip up this zesty, spiced carne asada – just toss it on the grill!
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork: The spice rub on this is pretty sensational. And when you let it “slow cook” the pork becomes meltingly tender.
- Zucchini Lasagna: This is always a summertime hit. Just alternate layers of zucchini with a meaty bolognese sauce and as much cheese as your heart desires.
- Zucchini Noodle Spaghetti Bolognese: Another way to use that same bolognese sauce is to toss it with zucchini noodles! This meal is fresh, easy, and tastes just like a regular spaghetti dish.
Low-Carb Vegetarian Recipes That Aren’t Lacking In Flavor
You don’t need to be a vegetarian to make vegetables the highlight of your meal. Perhaps you just want a meatless Monday? With these recipes veggies are front and center, holding their own as filling mains and delicious sides.
- Zucchini Fritters: Dip these crisp, golden fritters into a garlic chive yogurt sauce for a mind-blowing combination.
- Cucumber and Radish Salad: This is hands down the most refreshing, low-carb side you can make.
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad: Come winter, this is going to be your new go-to salad filled with Brussels sprouts, apples, cranberries, and red onion.
- Fajita Veggies: This dish tastes just like your Chipotle favorite. The sauteed veggies are crisp, slightly caramelized, and have that perfect touch of oregano flavor.
- Roasted Vegetables: They’re slightly charred on the outside, incredibly tender on the inside, and made easy in one sheet pan. Give my roasted broccoli, roasted cauliflower, or roasted Brussels sprouts a try!
- Sauteed Greens: Don’t underestimate sauteed greens either for a speedy side! A few favorites are my garlic ginger bok choy, sauteed cabbage, sauteed spinach, or sauteed swiss chard.
Quick and Easy Low-Carb Dinner Ideas
Time is of the essence these days… so quick and easy dinner ideas are always at the top my list. And good news – these are the recipes that everyone raves about. They’re super tasty, versatile, family-friendly, and magically get dinner on the table fast!
- Tuna Salad: Nothing beats this refreshing tuna salad for a meal that comes together in just 15 minutes.
- Egg Salad: Unlike other egg salads (that are mushy), this one is perfectly chunky with lots of texture and layers of fresh flavors. Perfect for adding to butter lettuce leaves!
- Creamy Chipotle Shrimp: This pan of mouthwatering shrimp are coated in a homemade chipotle sauce. They’re delicious served over zucchini noodles, but can also be paired with roasted or sauteed veggies.
- Zucchini Noodle Caprese: Speaking of zucchini noodles, this easy caprese version is so light and fresh, tossed with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil pesto, and toasted pine nuts.
- Zucchini Pasta With Lemon Garlic Shrimp: Just like your favorite shrimp scampi, but lighter and healthier. Gotta love that!
- Baked Tuna Meatballs: If meatballs are your jam, you’ll love this healthy seafood spin. These savory bites are a simple blend of canned tuna, fresh vegetables, and a good amount of dill and parsley.
Healthy and Nourishing Low-Carb Soups
When you’re craving a big, comforting bowl of soup, these low-carb recipes hit the spot. Choose from sippable, creamy soups or chunky, chewable soups – you really can’t go wrong with either!
- Cabbage Soup: Cabbage soup is about as low carb as they come! A flavorful blend of sliced cabbage, mirepoix vegetables, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and herbs gently simmers on the stove.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup: This creamy soup is a cinch to make and loaded with peppery, garlicky, and smoky flavors.
- Cucumber Melon Gazpacho: Summer days calls for a big bowl of cooling gazpacho! But there is honeydew in this, so just be aware of the portioning if you’re on a super low-carb diet.
Low-Carb Breakfast Ideas That Hit the Spot
Last but not least, you can’t forget about one of the most important meals of the day – breakfast! Ditch the bread, pastries, and oat-y meals for eggs, veggies, healthy fats, and proteins! This is how you put a “pep” in your morning step!
- Breakfast Egg Muffins: Get your morning protein and veggie fix with these savory egg muffin! Just pile them full of seasonal low-carb veggies.
- Chia Pudding: This light pudding is a nutritional powerhouse and makes for a delicious, low-carb base for your favorite low-carb fruits (like berries!).
- Shakshuka: This is hands down a low-carb breakfast favorite. Just top poached eggs on a chunky, spiced tomato base. Then garnish with a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole: Unlike other casseroles, this one is deliciously low-carb using a mix of ground turkey, spinach, and artichoke.
- Smoked Salmon Frittata: Frittatas are great for a low-carb breakfast that can be meal prepped ahead of time. This one is filled with smoked salmon, goat cheese, scallions, shallots and herbs. But you can also opt for a greener version with my spring vegetable frittata.
If you make any of these low carb recipes, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
40+ Best Low-Carb Recipes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F/220°C. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic powder, basil, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat the chicken breasts in olive oil. Then rub the herbed spice mix on both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes to allow the juices to redistribute within the meat, then serve.