40+ Best Gluten-Free Recipes
Cook up flavorful, gluten-free recipes with this ultimate guide! I’ll show you how to use wholesome ingredients with simple cooking methods to create the most flavorful meals.
Tips For Eating A Gluten-Free Diet
Before we dive in, let me remind you that ALL recipes on Downshiftology are gluten-free. So really, that means you have hundreds of recipes to choose from. But I’ve rounded up 40 or so of my favorites in this post for you today.
Starting a gluten-free diet may seem tricky, but it doesn’t have to be. The key is to focus on all the things you can eat, and nourish your body with simple, wholesome, and nutritious ingredients. That’s the best way to make your gut (and overall body) happy!
- Make the best of whole foods: The closer your ingredients are to their natural state, the better! Highly processed foods can have harmful additives that aren’t so great for the gut. So make the most of the rainbow of fresh produce at your market. Start with veggies, add some healthy fats such as avocado and eggs, then choose a few clean meat proteins or plant-based options.
- Keep your pantry stocked with the right ingredients: To make your weekday cooking much easier, stock your pantry with healthy pantry staples. You can start with a few basics such as nuts, seeds, legumes, and seasonings, then keep building from there. The more you cook, the more you’ll know what you need. For more inspiration, check out my list of healthy pantry staples.
- Listen to your body: Nourishing your body means listening to how your body responds to certain foods. Just because a specific ingredient is loaded with nutrients doesn’t mean your body will respond favorably to it. Everyone is different, so be mindful of using ingredients that are nourishing for you!
Gluten-Free Breakfast Ideas to Kickstart Your Morning
Trust me, you will not miss bread in the slightest when you taste all these delicious breakfast options. Get creative with a variety of egg dishes and veggie-forward meals. And yes, you can still enjoy those fluffy pancakes with a few simple pantry staples.
- Overnight Oats or Oatmeal: Turn a bag of certified, gluten-free rolled oats into creamy overnight oats or oatmeal! It’s the perfect breakfast meal prep where you can get creative with toppings and flavor.
- Loaded Breakfast Casserole: This ultra flavorful casserole is loaded with eggs, hearty veggies, bacon, and breakfast sausage. It’s the best breakfast flavors all in one dish.
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash: With the help of pre-roasted sweet potatoes, this hash comes together in a cinch. Cook it up with kale, crispy bacon, eggs, and a sprinkle of green onions.
- Shakshuka: This savory tomato skillet is a reader favorite! It’s nourishing, filling, and made in just 30 minutes.
- Chia Pudding: Not only are chia seeds filled with numerous health benefits, but they gel up beautifully into a pudding! And similar to oats, you can layer on your favorite fruits and nuts to create combos such as this peanut butter and jelly chia pudding.
- Paleo Pancakes: These might be the best gluten-free pancakes ever. They’re soft, fluffy, and can also be frozen for later use!
- Healthy Eggs Benedict : Enjoy an Eggs Benedict in a healthier way. Top off a sweet potato toast with a poached egg and a drizzle of homemade hollandaise sauce.
- Last but not least, a hearty breakfast plate with fried eggs, crispy bacon, roasted sweet potatoes, and sauteed spinach never fails.
Quick And Easy Gluten-Free Recipes
With busy weekday schedules, it’s good to keep quick and easy gluten-free recipes up your sleeve. From baked salmon and chicken, to flavorful and hearty salads, these meals can be made in 30 minutes or less! Oh, and most of them can be stored in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Ultimate Chicken Salad: With some poached chicken this creamy and crisp salad comes together in just 25 minutes! Wrap it with lettuce, layer in a sandwich, or eat on its own – the possibilities are endless!
- Best Baked Salmon: There’s so much you can do with salmon, but this is one recipe you should definitely know how to make.
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad: Looking for fresh, vibrant flavors? This salad is it! Simply combine chickpeas with tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, feta, and parsley.
- Zucchini Pasta With Lemon Garlic Shrimp: Who knew making a gluten free pasta would only take 15 minutes! Just toss zucchini noodles with garlic butter shrimp, and voila!
- Tuna Salad: Use up that canned tuna to make this refreshing tuna salad. It’s super fast and a classic for good reason.
- Baked Chicken Breast: These juicy and tender baked chicken breasts only need about 20 minutes in the oven!
- Broccoli Salad: This one continues to be one of my favorites because it lasts for quite awhile in the fridge and it can be enjoyed year round.
- Egg Salad: With a batch of hard boiled eggs – egg salad is a must! It’s so easy, utterly versatile, and can be made into my avocado egg salad or curried egg salad.
Family Friendly Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes
Just because you’re gluten-free, doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite dinner foods. Good news – there’s always a way around it with healthy substitutions! You can recreate a hearty pizza with a cauliflower crust or your favorite lasagna with zucchini. And let’s not forget delicious meats, seafood, and veggies that are naturally gluten-free.
- One Pan Chicken and Rice: Juicy chicken thighs are baked with lemony spinach and rice all in one pan. It’s simple, delicious, and ought to be in your weeknight rotation.
- Falafel: These savory bite sized balls are the perfect blend of chickpeas and fresh herbs. Oh, and don’t forget the tahini sauce!
- Creamy Chipotle Shrimp: Look no further than this one pan dish! Jumbo shrimp are soaked in a creamy chipotle sauce that’s mouthwatering served over rice.
- Stuffed Peppers: This one’s sure to be a family favorite gluten-free recipe. It’s so easy to make and baked with a flavorful ground beef and rice mixture. Bonus – you can meal prep and freeze them!
- Chicken Stir-Fry: Enjoy your favorite takeout recipe right at home with this super flavorful, super easy chicken stir-fry!
- Teriyaki Chicken: Satisfy your Japanese cravings with the best stir-fry chicken tossed in an easy teriyaki sauce!
- Chicken Fajitas: With the help of my homemade fajita seasoning, this one pan meal is filled with the best Tex-Mex flavors. And if you’ve got a large crowd to feed, this is a great build-your-own type of meal.
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust: This is hands down the best gluten-free pizza that sneaks extra veggies into your meal! Plus, you can freeze extra crusts for later use.
- Zucchini Lasagna: Who says you can’t enjoy a cheesy, hearty lasagna? This one’s loaded with delicious beef bolognese, three types of cheeses, and layers of zucchini slices.
- Carnitas: You won’t believe how meltingly tender pork gets in the slow cooker! Serve it up in a carnitas burrito bowl, salads, or the ever popular carnitas tacos.
Best Gluten-Free Baked Breads
You may be wondering if bread is still an option? Well, I’m here to introduce you to my favorite triumvirate of flours that bakes into a soft, fluffy, and moist bread! And whether you’re looking for something sweet or salty, I’ve got you covered.
- Paleo Banana Bread: The best gluten-free, grain-free, and dair-free banana bread that’s moist, perfectly sweet, and can be enjoyed as a healthy option for any time of the day.
- Paleo Banana Nut Muffins: If you’re more of a muffin person, my banana bread turns into these delicious muffins. And for a little crunch with every bite, sprinkle on some chopped walnuts.
- Paleo Zucchini Bread: Come zucchini season, this is a must-make recipe! It’s perfect for a neutral-flavored, soft bread that can be eaten on its own, topped with a fried egg, or spread with butter.
- Falafel Flatbread: If you love falafels, this warm savory blend of chickpeas, herbs, and vegetables is sure to be a winner!
- Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread: This dark chocolate loaf is scrumptious, and secretly healthy with a handful of grated zucchini!
Gluten-Free Snacks For Every Craving
When it comes to gluten-free snacks, there’s so much you can make with a small selection of fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds. From creamy dips to crispy chips to chewy energy balls, these recipes will satisfy all your 3pm cravings. Bonus – many of these can be prepped ahead of time or made in under 10 minutes!
- Classic Dips: A batch of guacamole, pico de gallo, hummus, or mango salsa are snack essentials! Dip them with gluten-free crackers or fresh cut veggies such as celery, bell peppers, and cucumber slices.
- Trail Mix Granola Bars: Skip the packaged bars, because homemade versions are that much better. Just gather your favorite nuts, seeds, and dried fruits to make the granola bar of your dreams. Plus, there won’t be any unnecessary additives thrown into the mix.
- No Bake Energy Balls: These bite sized balls are loaded with good-for-you ingredients! A few flavor combos you can make are mango date energy balls, banana bread energy balls, or matcha pistachio bliss balls.
- Vegetable & Fruit Chips: Satisfy those chip cravings with fresh fruit and veggies! You can make zucchini chips, apple chips, kale chips, plantain chips, and more.
- Smoothies: For something a bit more refreshing, whip up a quick and healthy smoothie! You can make all sorts of flavorful combinations with ingredients you have on hand. Take a peek at my roundup of best smoothie recipes for ideas!
Indulgent Gluten-Free Desserts
With balanced healthy eating, there’s always room for some indulgent, gluten-free desserts. And boy do I have quite the selection for you! From the richest chocolate cake to chewy cookies, and the creamiest mousse. Pick your favorite!
- Chocolate dips and spreads: Nothing beats a jar of homemade Nutella or chocolate hummus to dip fresh strawberries in!
- Moist and Fluffy Cakes: These gluten-free cakes are moist, soft, and taste just like the real thing! Choose from a paleo chocolate cake, paleo lemon blueberry cake, or an easy chocolate mug cake.
- Best Vegan Cheesecakes: Thanks to the versatility of cashews, making a creamy, dairy-free cheesecake is easy! My vegan caramel cheesecake continues to be a reader favorite, but this mixed berry vanilla cheesecake and mint chocolate vegan cheesecake are runner up.
- Gluten-Free Cookies: Choose from crunchy flourless almond butter cookies to chewy no bake cookies, or the best paleo chocolate chip cookies. With how good these are, you won’t even know these cookies are gluten-free.
- Chia Pudding Mousse: If you like chia pudding, but aren’t a fan of the texture, chia mousse is for you. Blend it into a chocolate chia pudding mousse or pumpkin pie chia pudding mousse!
For more easy, delicious gluten-free meal ideas… check out these other roundups, including easy dinner ideas, healthy breakfast ideas, and my best vegetarian recipes.
If you make any of gluten-free recipes, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
40+ BEST Gluten-Free Recipes
- 6 bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (separated)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (I love fire roasted tomatoes), drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- chopped parsley, for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and membrane. Drizzle with a little olive oil and rub both the inside and outside to coat them. Arrange them upside down in two baking pans or one half sheet pan and pre-bake for about 15 minutes, while you're making the stuffing.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil and saute the garlic and onions for one minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the beef is browned, breaking it up with a spatula as needed.
- Drain off any excess liquid from the beef and stir in the diced tomatoes, rice, spinach, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir for a minute or two, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove the bell peppers from the oven and use tongs to flip them over.
- Fill the peppers with the beef mixture and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Place them back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the peppers are soft.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.
The steamed spinach recipe is wonderful if you add a boiled cut up potatoe. A very old recipe. it is good hot or cold.
I am a big fan of your recipes. Tried some on them at my home and my husband loves them a lot.
Anyways, I have a question. Yesterday I went to a grocery shop near to my house. And noticed a product labeled as Non-Gluten. Is there any difference between non gluten and gluten-free products?
Hi Isabella – those should be the same :)
Is this gluten free?
Yes! All my recipes are gluten-free as I have celiac.
Can the stuffed peppers be frozen?
Yes, they make for a great freezer meal prep!
I like this gluten recipes, cannot tolerate Rice, what is a good substitute
Hi there – it will have to depend on the recipe. Which ones were you referring to by chance?
I’m not vegan or gluten free I just can’t have oats wheat I’ve been looking for recipes to make my food look better is there any recipes you could help me with
Any of these recipes will work! I also have a few other roundups you can look at on my website for more meal ideas :)
Try variations of chia pudding in place of overnight oats.
Do you have a book?
I am actually currently working on a cookbook right now :) Stay tuned on Instagram stories for updates from time to time!
Yum! So many great looking recipes here, I will be trying the Loaded Breakfast Casserole and Teriyaki Chicken first.
Hi Jessie – Can’t wait for you to try those recipe Jessie!
Thank you for sharing so many fun recipes! The cheesecake looks especially amazing.
You won’t even know it’s vegan or gluten-free :)
Looks like I have my dinner line up planned for over a month; such a great round up of recipes, I don’t know where to start!
Excited for you to dive into these recipes Sara!
This was so helpful and interesting! I can’t wait to share this with my family!
Hope you and your whole family enjoys this list Beth :)
What an incredible list! I’m so glad to have found your website today. Signing up for your newsletter so I don’t miss anything. I love the gluten free recipes you’ve done.
Welcome to the Downshiftology community Kim! Can’t wait for you to dive into all my recipes.